FALL HOME MAINTENANCE
Get your home and family ready for the fall months ahead with these tips!
- Drain hot water heater and remove any sediment from the bottom.
- Replace the furnace filter.
- Have your heating system serviced.
- Replace all summer screens with storm windows and doors.
- Be sure all doors latch properly to protect against high winds.
- Have your chimney serviced and cleaned. Check for any missing mortar or for debris (i.e. bird nests).
- Clean your gutters and downspouts throughout the fall season.
- Repair any window cracks or holes in weather stripping or caulking.
- Clean your ducts.
- Check to make sure your thermostat works properly.
- Check crawlspace for flooding after the first long rainfall.
- Make sure you have new batteries in all your flashlights and that they are easily found around the house.
- Stock up on bottled water and snacks in case of a power outage.
- Turn ON gas furnace pilot light.
- Make sure you have adequate insulation in attic and crawlspace.
- Continually check your air vents to make sure they aren’t blocked.
- Clean out the bathroom fan/filter.
- Test all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Make sure you have at least one fire extinguisher on each floor and in the garage.
- Make a fire escape plan for your house and make sure you review it with all family members.
Have a safe and Happy Fall!