Winter months can be so cruel to your roof. If your roof fails, it can cause great expense, significant damage and wasted time and money. With winter in full swing, give your roof a quick check-up to ensure that your home is protected.
Here are some warning signs that your roof may be costing your money and leaving your vulnerable.
- Dirty-looking areas on roof– possible cause: environmental pollutants; vegetation, fungus or algae; loss of granules due to shingle age or over excessive pressure washing.
- Missing, cracked or curling shingles-possible cause: shingles at the end of their useful life.
- Leak in attic after driving rain-possible cause; leaky or inadequate shingle underlayment or deteriorated flashing.
- Blistering/peeling of outside paint– possible cause; excessive temperature or high humidity due to poor attic ventilation.
- Stains on interior ceilings/walls or mold and mildew growth– possible cause; inadequate or faulty shingle underlayment allowing leakage or inadequate ventilation
- Excessive energy costs– possible cause: insufficient attic ventilation allowing heating/cooling system to run excessively.
If you notice any of these warning signs, consider using a professional roofing contractor. Many people neglect their roof or think roofing installation is simple. As a Real Estate professional that sees houses day in and day out, and loves to follow around the inspectors, I can tell you the roof is always the first thing that is checked and 7 out of 10 times needs repairs, replacement of shingles or worse.
A well-installed, well-maintained roof is one of the most important things your can do for your home.