With Tax Season in full swing and all that paper everywhere do you even feel like just throwing it all up, away or into the fire? Boy I know I do but, we have to keep some important docs and I hope this list is a good reminder.
Tax returns- 7 Years– Keep tax returns and all supporting tax docs, including W-2’s, 1099 forms, property tax info, bank statements, mortgage interest statements, cancelled checks, receipts, home purchase and home improvement info.
Paycheck stubs– 1 Year
- Mortgage docs 10 years- After property has sold 7 years.
- Mortgage statement’s 7 years- After property has sold 10 years
- Repair bills/contracts 10 years
- Home 5 Years
- Life of policy +3 years
- Medical 5 years
- IRA contribution’s permanently
- 401K annual summaries-keep until you close the account
- Investment statements 7 years after last account is sold.
- Adoption/Guardianship Papers
- Birth Certificates
- Health Immunization
- Marriage/Divorce Decree
- Pension Plan Docs
- Veteran Papers