How do I remove someone from Title?

ImageProxySituations can arise where the ownership interest in your property changes from the way it was originally acquired. Whether it is due to death, divorce, a parting of ways or the requirements of a new lender it sometimes becomes necessary to remove someone’s name from the title to a property. This is usually accomplished by the party exiting title executing a deed of conveyance in favor of the party or parties that will remain in title. Clearing the interest of deceased parties is an entirely different matter altogether and will not be addressed here.

In Case of Divorce
In cases of divorce, the best way to clearly show which party was awarded the property would be for the party not awarded it to execute a quit claim deed in favor of the party that it was awarded to. Many times the terms of the decree of dissolution and/or settlement agreement in the divorce case don’t properly identify real estate holdings and it can be difficult to determine “who got what”.

If title is held by two or more parties as tenants–in-common and one of them decides to sell or otherwise relinquish their interest they would execute a deed of conveyance (typically a statutory warranty deed or in some cases a quit claim deed) to the recipient(s) of their interest.

When a Party in Title Doesn’t Qualify For a Loan
Sometimes a party in title does not qualify for a loan and if the lender agrees to make the loan to the other title holder(s) a deed of conveyance (typically a quit claim deed) will be executed by the non-borrower to the borrowing party in title to the property.

Seek Legal Council
You should always consult with an attorney before signing any legal documents. You should also consult with Excise Tax Dept. personnel at the local county recorder’s office to help you determine if excise (i.e. conveyance or transfer) tax will be due when the deed is presented for recording.


2 thoughts on “How do I remove someone from Title?

  1. My husband is deceased. I need to remove his name from the title on our home.
    What are ALL the documents that I will need before coming to the courthouse?
    Is there a fee for this?


    • If the estate is being probated we will need to pull a copy of the filed Probate and get a letter from the attorney regarding potential estate taxes and DSHS liens.

      Hi Rae, First and foremost I am terribly sorry for your loss and I am sure there is many questions you have right now. I asked a title/escrow company I work with your question as I wanted to be accurate in how I was responding. Here is what they said:
      If the estate is not being probated they will need to get a copy of his death certificate (which may need to be recorded depending on the County), a copy of the will (if there is one), and we would need our Lack of Probate Affidavit completed. When all this is together you can contact any title company and do a quit claim deed to remove him for the title.

      I hope that helps and best of luck to you.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s